Øyvind Bjorå is a versatile musician who has gained distinction with his abilities as a conductor and concertmaster. After finishing conducting studies at the Norwegian Academy of Music, he has had a rising career as a conductor and has regularly conducted the symphonic orchestras in Norway, – Oslo, Bergen, Trondheim, Stavanger, Kristiansand, the Norwegian National Opera and the Artic Philharmonic.
RECENT AND FUTURE ENGAGEMENTS
Øyvind Bjorå’s most recent and future engagements include (among others):
- concerts with Copenhagen Phil in Denmark;
- Beethoven’s Den magiske 7. Symfonien, Symphony No. 5, Tchaikovsky Rococo Variations, a Jubilee concert, and a ‘visual concert’ with Trondheim Symphony Orchestra;
- Den Stundesløse at Operaen i Kristiansund;
- Stravinsky’s Firebird (family concert) with Jönköping Sinfonietta;
- Giselle (a Christmas Ballet) and Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker with Arctic Philharmonic in Tromsø;
- Film concerts and Christmas concerts with Stavanger Symphony Orchestra;
- Mahler’s Das Lied von der Erde, Den Stundesløse (opera in three acts by Edvard Fliflet Bræin) and various concerts with Operaen i Kristiansund;
- a Bartok/Prokofiev concert with Barratt-Dues Symfoniorkester;
- a Gala concert with Kongelige norske marines musikkorps.
From 2014 to 2016 Øyvind Bjorå held the postion of Principal Conductor and Artistic Director of one of the Arctic Philharmonic ensembles – the Sinfonietta in Bodø.
Formerly concertmaster of Trondheim Symphony and Bergen Philharmonic, he has since 2005 lead the Norwegian National Opera Orchestra. He has appeared as guest leader of the Philharmonia Orchestra in London, and several orchestras in Europe. After a concert in Carnegie Hall where he led Bartok’s Divertimento, with Risør Festival Strings, the New York Times wrote: “…I cannot recall a more persuasive account, conducted or otherwise.”
In 2020 Bjorå made his debut with Szczecin Philharmonic in Poland. He also had concerts with Operaen i Kristiansund, and conducted the Christmas concert of Trondheim Symfoniorkester.
AUDIO & VIDEO
Øyvind Bjorå – 7th Symphony by Beethoven (extracts) with Trondheim Symfoniorkester, Feb. 2021
Øyvind Bjorå – 5th Symphony, 1st movement by Beethoven with Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra, Jan. 2020
Øyvind Bjorå – Siegfried Idyll by R.Wagner with the Arctic Philharmonic Sinfonietta, 2016
Øyvind Bjorå – Cartoon by Paul Hart with Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra, Jan. 2020
Øyvind Bjorå – Mozart & Salieri complete Opera by N.Rimsky-Korsakov with The Arctic Philharmonic Chamber Orchestra, 2016